About This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WHATZIS?

The most asked question about this blog is one that is short and sweet:





No, not why are you blogging, but why are you blogging about a TV station that almost always finished last in the ratings, doesn’t even exist anymore, and is barely a blip in the radar of many of the subjects of these musings. I admit that in some ways, it makes me look rather pathetic. Believe it or not, I do live in the here and now, and don’t dwell on the past. (Yeah, right….) Well it’s true. It’s just that I’ve swept that past under the rug for a decade or so, and have finally come around to embracing it once again. Doing so is both therapeutic and… dare I say it…. fun. The bad feelings I had when I jettisoned my TV news career have vanished into the ether, replaced by a warm and gentle spirit of healthy nostalgia and gratitude. It may sound wimpy when I say it, but it feels great to look back on these two decades of my life with a smile, instead of a growl. And yet a lot of my posts will be growly, because that’s the way things were a lot of the time. The negativity that pops up just reinforces that this is, by and large, a positive blog about an imperfect place with imperfect people. And Lord knows this writer is pretty damn imperfect himself!

This is also a one-stop spot for information about former WCIX employees, and (whenever possible) ways to get back in touch with them. To me, the “Life After Channel 6” links are just as crucial to this site as the blog posts. I’ve tried to include up-to-date links on as many former WCIX’ers as possible. If your name (or that of one of your friends) is not included, it means one of six things:

1. I could not find a link to your present whereabouts through an internet search. If you contact me through the comments section, or an e-mail, I’ll be glad to add your name, and link, to the list.
2. You’re still at WFOR (to the best of my knowledge). There is really no need to put links for present Channel 4 employees, since we know where to find you!
3. You worked at the station before my time, and I’m not aware of you.
4. Your last name has changed. This is especially true of some of the young ladies I worked with nearly three decades ago, who have long ceased to be single.
5. Your name just slipped my mind (which is not hard to do, after so many years). Again, contact me through the comments section or e-mail, and I will see to it that your link is added to the list.
6. You share your name with another person with a web presence, and I’m not sure which one you are. (How many different, successful women named Caryn Brooks are there, anyway?)

I feel that this site belongs to all the folks who traveled in and out that door (good line, bad song). I’m particularly gratified by the comments of one of my former colleagues, who said “thank you for bringing WCIX to life once again”. What he said really got to me, because technically, WCIX is dead, and HAS been for more than thirteen years. Some of you might say that only the name has changed, but come on now. Most viewers have already forgotten about the Great Channel Swap of 1995, and seriously believe the current WFOR is the same Channel 4 that Ralph Renick helped bring to life sixty years ago. WCIX may be “so last century”, but it cannot be forgotten. It WILL not be forgotten. That’s why this blog exists.

If you enjoy these pages, or even if you think they’re a waste of time, feel free to leave a comment after any of the posts. Also check out former WCIX news director Paul Stueber’s blog, Tying My Shoes, for some very entertaining stories about Channel 6 and his other ports of call. Those of you on Facebook are encouraged to join the Fans & Former Employees of WCIX group on there, for a chance to reconnect with old friends and share some photos and videos. (That group is 85 members strong, and growing by the day.) I really do welcome your comments, so by all means, speak up. We had a good thing going then, and with your participation, we can have a real good thing going now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff! I am really glad you are writing this blog. I spent the first 5 years of my now 33 year broadcast career. I loved that brickel avenue building and the majority of the people i worked with. I learned more there than anywhere else i've been. It is quite nice to be able to look back with your help and reminisce. Thank you again!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know you are getting old when you can't complete a sentence! What i meant to say was;

I am really glad you are writing this blog. I spent the first 5 years of my now 33 year broadcast career at that cool round building at 1111 Brickell. I loved that brickel avenue building and the majority of the people i worked with. I learned more there than anywhere else i've been. It is quite nice to be able to look back with your help and reminisce. Thank you again!!